Whats up, reader. Hallam Bullock right here, reporting from London, and at this time I am interested by privateness.
Our very personal Diamond Naga Siu made her ideas on the Bevi water dispenser gathering worker knowledge very clear in this text earlier within the week.
Elon Musk, too, strikes me as anyone who values his privateness. Actually, he would not like individuals following his jet round. Though, having stated that, he apparently would not appear to thoughts his bodyguards following him to the restroom at Twitter HQ. So, maybe, there are exceptions?
Now, let’s check out the week’s high tales.
If this was forwarded to you, join right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. He raised $200 million to remodel autism care. Now, he is ditching sufferers to promote healthcare software program. Yury Yakubchyk, the cofounder and CEO of Elemy, raised greater than $200 million to offer higher autism remedy for youths.
- However in October, an Insider investigation discovered the startup struggled with the fundamentals of care, resembling hiring sufficient clinicians and getting lined by insurance coverage — all whereas youngsters languished on wait lists.
- Now, Elemy is pivoting. As a substitute of delivering care itself, as an alternative of delivering care itself, the corporate needs to promote software program to clinicians working their very own companies.
- Startups of all stripes are identified to pivot and alter technique. However the stakes are larger in healthcare. One former Elemy supervisor stated: “It is actually darts being thrown at a dart board, and he one way or the other satisfied a variety of wealthy individuals to provide him numerous cash.”
Learn the total story.
High tech tales of the week:
2. Silicon Valley is on a knife edge after the implosion of two banks on the coronary heart of its monetary system. Following the collapse of crypto lender Silvergate and meltdown at Silicon Valley Financial institution, questions are being requested about doubtlessly catastrophic ramifications — and specialists are answering them.
3. What occurs if you cost a non-Tesla EV at a Supercharger? Chaos. After Tesla opened a few of its Superchargers to different EVs, YouTubers took their non-Tesla automobiles to check them out. “In case you’re a Tesla proprietor, it is not an excellent day,” one stated. This is what occurred.
4. Police are prosecuting abortion seekers utilizing their digital knowledge — and Meta and Google assist them do it. As abortion bans are carried out throughout the US, social media firms are offering legislation enforcement with chat logs and search historical past to construct instances to prosecute abortion seekers. Learn extra.
5. Laid-off Twitter employees are struggling to search out new work in a “sizzling rubbish” job market. As a substitute of staying in tech, many at the moment are contemplating dramatically totally different profession choices. One software program engineer is even considering turning into a firefighter. The total story.
6. Is your e-mail inbox brimming with unread messages? Properly, I’ve a narrative for you. Our reporter used a brand new AI instrument to summarize emails and enhance productiveness — and it satisfied them that the AI revolution is simply getting began. This is how the instrument works. (Aren’t you glad you opened this e-mail?)
7. We acquired a brand new image of a Tesla Cybertruck — nevertheless it seems to point out an issue. A big windshield wiper needed to be added to the EV final 12 months to observe US highway security guidelines. However now, the most recent wiper design seems to have a grimy secret. Learn extra.
8. A easy trick can remedy your dependancy to social media. Continually scrolling on social media? A brand new app makes use of a easy, science-backed trick to interrupt the unhealthy behavior: respiration. This is the way it works.
From our tech evaluation crew:
9. Hundreds of staff at Meta and Google do “faux work.” That is in response to Keith Rabois, as soon as a member of the PayPal Mafia. “There’s nothing for these individuals to do … It is all faux work,” Rabois stated. Learn extra.
10. Elon Musk’s dream of manufacturing 20 million Teslas per 12 months hangs on battery tech. File-high lithium costs and a sprawling provide chain has made battery value controls a headache for Tesla. If Musk fails to convey the prices of batteries down, he dangers ceding the market to rivals. The total story.
Right this moment’s crew: Hallam Bullock in London, Lisa Ryan and Diamond Naga Siu in New York, and Dave Smith in Toronto.
NOW WATCH: Standard Movies from Insider Inc.